The construction goes back to the 13th cent. and it was the parish church of the suburb outside Porta Albina. Damaged by the bombing, it has lately been partially restored. The lunette portal is of great interest; an architrave, placed on corbels and adorned with relief wine branches and bunches, which stand for Christian regeneration, make it precious. The name of the sculptor, A(n)dreas de Piperno, is engraved on the portal. The old bell of the church is kept in the local Civic Museum.
Together to the Cathedral, it is the last church left among all house which were erected inside the walls of the town. The medieval building was consecrated to St. Lawrence and only its small steeple is left. In the 17th cent. The church took today’s name and structure when it was completely transformed according to the rules of the of the late baroque style; its only nave was covered with a lower barrel vault and an elliptical dome was built on it in the presbytery, while against the side walls, devided up by halt-pillars, four altars were leant.
The construction was probably started about the half of the 13th cent., following the rules of the Cistercian architecture but adopting, however, the versions of the mendicant orders. The church, which is being restored, has a front with an architrave portale and a small hanging porch over it. The rose-window, carried out with crossed arches supported by small columns, is very fine. The interior has one only nave, a transept and a rectilinear choir. The enclosed convent and its cloister were bombed during the last war but they still keep their base plan.
According to tradition, the original construction was founded by the same St. Francis from Assisi in 1222. Even if it was ruined during the last world war, most of the base plan is in good condition. The whole construction was built according to the rules of the Cistercian style; it still preserves remarkable features of the medieval period as, for example, the small church-steeple with its peculiar conical roof. The complex was rebuilt after the last world war without taking into consideration the original structure and it was used as hospital from 1874.
It has one only nave and it was the parish church of the suburb outside Porta S. Gregorio. The building was consecrated again in 1163 by Pope Alexander III and took the name of S. Maria della Basilica Nuova; it replaced a former structure which probably belonged to the high medieval age; however almost nothing is left but some frescoes ruins of the late Middle Ages. The present church was rebuilt under Cesare Ventimiglia, bishop of Terracina between 1615 and 1645. The nearby circular sepulcre of Roman age is worth seeing.
It is an important model of a civil fortified building: it is located at the cross-roads of three important road-axes and so, thanks to its position, its triangular plan, its building technique, its stately construction and its narrow loop-holes, it was, at the same time, a remarkable place of protection and attack inside the medieval town. The house was bought in 1283 by Gregorius de Acso according to an inscription affixed to the front; however, it must have been built a century before.
The church, built by the bishop Pomponio de Magistris (1608-1614), as we can read on the plaque still there, was close to the disappeared Porta Albina, on the north-east side of the square with the same name. It was demolished between 1835 and 1850 to build a larger square and Palazzo della Bonificazione Pontina and it was rebuilt inside this palace with neoclassical style and facing Salita Annunziata. It was deconsecrated after 1950 and the Town Council bought it in 1986, restored and used it as a cultural centre.
where history overlooks the sea
Progetto Rete d'Imprese "Terracina Alta"
Centro Storico Terracina
Web Design by: ODA Visual Studio