MEDIEVAL AGE MONUMENTS
The construction was probably started about the half of the 13th cent., following the rules of the Cistercian architecture but adopting, however, the versions of the mendicant orders. The church, which is being restored, has a front with an architrave portale and a small hanging porch over it. The rose-window, carried out with crossed arches supported by small columns, is very fine. The interior has one only nave, a transept and a rectilinear choir. The enclosed convent and its cloister were bombed during the last war but they still keep their base plan.
Together to the Cathedral, it is the last church left among all house which were erected inside the walls of the town. The medieval building was consecrated to St. Lawrence and only its small steeple is left. In the 17th cent. The church took today’s name and structure when it was completely transformed according to the rules of the of the late baroque style; its only nave was covered with a lower barrel vault and an elliptical dome was built on it in the presbytery, while against the side walls, devided up by halt-pillars, four altars were leant.
It is one the best preserved houses in the south part of Latium; it dates back to the 13th cent and shows the typical features of the civil architecture according to the Cistercian style. It has four floors and its main front presents pointed openings. The hall and a shop are on the ground-floor; There are two elegant mullioned windows with two lights adorned with a crochet capital on the first floor, while the upper floors have two couples of single lancet windows. A large Gothic niche with stucco decorations is situated on the landing of the inside staircase; it was discovered not long before.
They are two close building overlooking an inside courtyard; probably they date back to the 12th – 13th cent. The first one, whose upper floors were destroyed during the last world war, still preserves a pointed mullioned window with two lights; its wall show a large use of basalt ashlars obtained from the flog-stones of the Roman roads. The second house is in a better condition; its doors and window are provided with architraves placed on corbels and it has a three-mullioned window on the second floor; its masonry looks irregular here too and it is made with salvage building materials.
The building is a typical example of a gothic house facing an inside courtyard and it goes back to the 12th – 13th cent. The main front, which was widely renovated together to the interiors of the house between 18th and 19th cent., has two axes. The profferlo, that is the outside staircase with balcony, is very interesting: the balcony is supported by three solid pillars joined together by means of two vaults and it is provided with a series of brick hanging small arches placed on travertine corbels. The two arch pointed doors on the ground floor are also worth seeing.
The present building which was consecrated in 1074 and dedicated to S. Cesareo, was renovated between the 12th and 13th cent. The brick steeple, containing four floors adorned with small pointed arches, belongs to the same period; the portico is of the same age, that is the Gothic one; it has six Roman columns to wich were added the bases, adorned with different animals, and the capitals. The mosaic frieze can be seen on the right architrave: it dates back to the first half of the 13th cent. And I contains some allegorical pictures which might be a reference to the message of the salvation according to the word of God.
It dates back to the 13th cent. While its top part belongs to the modern age. It is a remarkable example of Cistercian architecture applied to civil and public buildings, because it is likely it was the original seat of the medieval Commune. The building is set on a carriage arch which as a pointed opening facing the square and a roundhead one on the opposite side. Its peculiar feature stands in the three-mullioned windows, especially the one overlooking the Cathedral (the only one which is original) whose style clearty shows elements coming from Cistercian architecture.
It is also called Torre dei Rosa from name the family that probably built it between the end of the 12th cent. And 13 th cent. It is the highest tower in the town (about 30 metres high) and it is considered a remarkable example of civil fortified architecture. The two large pointed arch doors on the north side and the original single lancet window of the same style on the west side are outstanding. Part of the building was destroyed during the last war and later restored. Today it houses the Civic Museum, the Town Office for Culture and the Town Archive.
It is likely it was part of a more complex fortified stucture dating back to the 12-13th cent. Today we can admire only three floors whose main feature is its ogival windows; two entrances are on the east and west sides of the building. Horatius Melior, the name of one of the old owners, is engraved with fine Latin characters on the travertine architrave of the main door overlooking the destroyed Salita Castello.
The small building, which today is composed of three floors, should belong to the 12th-13th cent. The main front has one only axis and pointed openings are on it. The mullioned window with lights of the upper floor is very remarkable; however, the masonry of this floor reveals a reconstruction belonging to a later period compared to the low part of the house. Besides, you can see, above the single lancet window and inserted in the wall, the lid of a cinerary um belonging to the Roman imperial age; it is adorned with a relief male bust placed inside a small pediment with palmette on its sides.
The original group, which perhaps goes back to the end of the 10th cent. grew larger and larger so that the castle, between the 14th and 15th cent., reached a considerable size which was preserved throughout the modem age. It was heavly bombed in 1943-44 so only the imposing keep, which is the oldest part, and a side of the south wing are left; admission is not allowed to both places. Two inscriptions dealing with the works carried out under Pope Eugenius III (1145-1153) can be read on the east wall.
According to tradition, the original construction was founded by the same St. Francis from Assisi in 1222. Even if it was ruined during the last world war, most of the base plan is in good condition. The whole construction was built according to the rules of the Cistercian style; it still preserves remarkable features of the medieval period as, for example, the small church-steeple with its peculiar conical roof. The complex was rebuilt after the last world war without taking into consideration the original structure and it was used as hospital from 1874.
where history overlooks the sea
Progetto Rete d'Imprese "Terracina Alta"
Centro Storico Terracina
Web Design by: ODA Visual Studio