where history overlooks the sea

IT

EN

inviaci una mail
seguici su facebook seguici su instagram
seguici su twitter seguici su youtube
Cartina Terracina Centro Storico

MONUMENTI ETÀ MODERNA

  • 1 - PORTA ROMANA

    Planned by G.Rappini and built in 1780 for the first visit of Pius VI during the works of reclamation. The new and monumental door incorporated the arch of S.Gregorio, entrance on the north-west to Borgo di Cipollata; in this way this suburb and the town were united again. The remarkable element of the door, which is set against an ancient tower of the 2nd-ist cent. B.C., is the outside front: it is composed of a brick arch on piers decorated with two pilasters strips with smooth ashlars and an upper frame.

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Porta Romana
  • 2 - PALACE VITELLI

    The Vitelli family, coming from Patrica, ordered to build this construction in the first half of the 18th cent. It stands in Borgo di Cipollata overlooking the Via Appia and Porta di S.Gregorio, later called Porta Romana: so it is unique and important in the town-planning. An inscription set on the west front says that the palace was a papal residence from 1780 until Palazzo Braschi was ready to live in.

     

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

     

    Palazzo Vitelli
  • 3 - PALAZZO DEI FORNI

    The “Nuova Fabbrica dei Forni”(the new building of ovens) was built in 1785 by the town Council in front of the church of Purgatorio. Probably the author of the plan was the engineer Giuseppe Fabri, who re-used the structures of a barn, which had been built on some pa rts of a large building belonging to the age of Silla (beginning of the 1st cent. B.C.). The impressive portal, above which is a three sides tympanum with a coat of arms in the middle, has an inscription on its lintel to honour Pope Pius VI.

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Palazzo dei forni
  • 4 - CHURCH OF PURGATORIO

    It was built between 1750 and 1787 on the ruins of the medieval church of S. Nicola. Besides being the exclusive example of late-baroque religious architecture in the town, it is also the only centrally planned church having a church-square. The building is unique from the town-planning point of view and for its particular valour. The large front side with tympanum having wavy lines and stucco decorations, as well as its dome and its small pagoda bell tower are remarkable.

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Chiesa del Purgatorio
  • 5 - A PALACE IN VIA S. EUSEBIO

    It was probably built between the first and the second half of the 18th cent. during the renovation of the town wall to the south of Porta Maggio; a large side of the late-ancient rampart walk and some medieval structures were incorporated in the building. The large late-baroque portal with its coat of arms engraved on the keystone as well as the entrance-hall with dome vaults on corbels and the large stir-case are remarkable.

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Palazza via San Eusebio
  • 6 - THE PALACE OF NICOLA SAVIO

    This is the first well-known example of a Renaissance house in the town; it is especially important because other buildings of the same period had disappeared. It was built by the notary Nicola Savio in 1536 as you can read in the inscription set on the portal lintel made of travertine like the frame around the window and with an inscription on first floor. The house stands in Via S. Rufina and is set against the late-ancient walls, near the today Vicolo del Forno which, in the past, was a corridor to walk out of the town.

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Palazzo Nicola Savio
  • 7 - A PALACE IN CORSO GARIBALDI

    The building stands in a good position along the old layout of the Via Appia. It may be a Renaissance renovation of a medieval domus; later, during the 19th cent., the hall, the upper floors and the roof were renovated once more. Some remarkable elements of the main front belonging to the Renaissance palace can still be admired today: the large travertine portal containing a round arch as well as the travertine frame around the window, both on the first floor.

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Palazzo Corso Garibaldi
  • 8 - PALAZZO VIA GREGGI

    Even if the building we can see today was deeply renewed by the Greggi family at the end of the 18th cent., it keeps important parts of the Roman and medieval period; the Roman structures of a domus belonging to the 2 nd cent. A.D. and the medieval elevations as well as the loggia with consoles of the main front, which may be the ruin of a profferlo. The large staircase and the small courtyard with a valuable portal are remarkable in the modern building.the modern building facing the Salita dell’Annunziata; the remains of another column have been found in a cellar. It may be the temple was a hexastile one and it had some niches in the inside walls.

     

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Palazzo Via Greggi
  • 9 - PALAZZO RISOLDI

    It is so called from the name of one of the outstanding local families who were the owners of the palace from the second half of the 19th cent. to the first decades of the following one. The building rests on the stratifications of Roman and late-ancient structures, on the ruins of the church of SS. Quattro Incoronati (whose apse can still be seen on the back of the building) and on some medieval domus. The large cambered and ashlared portal contains several inscriptions and probably was built during the renovation of the second half of the 18th cent.

     

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Palazzo Risoldi
  • 10 - THE CATHEDRAL

    The modern renovation of the Cathedral starter in the first years of the 18th cent. and went on throughout all the century and during some years of the following one. The new works deeply changed parts of the construction: The covering of the Cathedral was complety renewed replacing the medieval wood truss roof with stone barrel vaults in the nave and two aisles; the baldachin of the high altar was remade as well as the choir and the capitals of the columns; the portico and the chapels of the aisles were renovated.

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Interno Cattedrale
  • 11 - THE BISHOP'S PALACE

    The first modern renovation of this old building was carried out under the bishop Cesare Ventimiglia (1615-1645); however we can still see, besides the ruins of the Carolingian period, some remarkable structures of the Romanesque-Gothic style. The second restoration took place since 1786 under pope Pius VI who ordered to build a connection to Palazzo Braschi. The front side of the palace was altered after the last world war, but the portal is particularly remarkable so that it characterizes its neoclassical style.

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Palazzo Del Vescovado
  • 12 - RAMPA BRASCHI

    This slope, also called “La Volta” (today Via Posterla), was built under Pope Pius VI to connect Palazzo Braschi, which was under construction at that time, to the new Strada Pia (Via Roma); this main connection between the ancient town and Borgo Pio was completed in 1792. A tower can be seen along a hairpin bend of the slope; originally it stood on that part of the late ancient wall belt which ran to the low town; later the walls where demolished under Pius VI to build the slope.

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Rampa Braschi
  • 13 - A PALACE IN VIA MURA DI SAN PAOLO

    It is a remarkable example of a large eighteenth century renovation of a whole medieval court with its domus changed into a unique and homogeneous architectonic area, as we can see from the north, south and west fronts (the east side is linked to Palazzo della Bonificazione). The large cambered portal. Containing a coat of arms on its keystone, is the entrance to the old court which has become the courtyard of the palace.

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Palazzo di Via mura San Paolo
  • 14 - PALAZZO DELLA BONIFICAZIONE PONTINA

    This was the administrative centre of the Pontine reclamation: it was built between 1780 and 1785 on the ruins of a Roman forensic basilica, which are still visible at its bottom. It is remarkable example of a public building in that period; however, it took its modern aspect about the half of the 19th cent. when Palazzo De Vecchis became part of it. There are two different entrances: the back one opens onto the Salita dell’Annunziata, while the front one, with a large remarkable portal having a lintel, opens onto Piazza S. Domitilla.

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Palazzo Bonificazione Pontina
  • 15 - HOUSES OF ANGELETTI FAMILY

    According to an inscription placed on the portal, they were built in 1764 by the “property of the Angeletti family”. The building is a remarkable example of private residential housing whose end was to let houses to the middle classes, according to a building plan as we can see in other constructions of the same period with similar inscriptions on. Some parts of an old Roman imperial domus, a large side of the late-ancient wall and some medieval houses were included in the renovation.

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Casa Angeletti
  • 16 - HOUSES TO LET

    The large building stands on the steep hairpin bend of Via S. Francesco, near the old small back door of Via della Rota. It was built about the end of the 18th cent. owing to the increase of the population due to the works of the reclamation under Pope Pius VI. It is an important example of popular building carried out thanks to private help and with a considerable saving of money as we can see from the masonry without plaster in the four floors.

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Case d'affitto
  • 17 - PALAZZO BRASCHI

    Probably designed by the architect Cosimo Morelli, the palace is a good example of Neoclassical architecture. Luigi Onesti Braschi, Pius VI’s nephew, had it built between 1787 and 1795 as the private residence of the Pope. Palazzo de Taxis, on the left wing, and the ruins of the medieval church of Santa Maria in Posterula, on the right, became part of the new building; besides, by Rampa Braschi, it was well connected, on the north side, to the ancient town and, on the south, to the Via Appia and the new town.

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    Palazzo Braschi
  • 18 - PALAZZO GREGGI

    Even if the building we can see today was deeply renewed by the Greggi family at the end of the 18th cent., it keeps important parts of the Roman and medieval period; the Roman structures of a domus belonging to the 2 nd cent. A.D. and the medieval elevations as well as the loggia with consoles of the main front, which may be the ruin of a profferlo. The large staircase and the small courtyard with a valuable portal are remarkable in the modern building.the modern building facing the Salita dell’Annunziata; the remains of another column have been found in a cellar. It may be the temple was a hexastile one and it had some niches in the inside walls.

     

    GO BACK TO THE MAP

    palazzo Greggi

Terracina Centro Storico

Dove la Storia si affaccia sul mare

Progetto Rete d'Imprese "Terracina Alta"

Centro Storico Terracina

C.F. 91151870598

Web Design by: ODA Visual Studio

 

FOLLOW US:

seguici su facebook seguici su instagram seguici su twitter seguici su youtube
Privacy Policy
versione al negativo del logo del centro storico di terracina
seguici su facebook seguici su instagram seguici su twitter seguici su youtube
inviaci una mail
seguici su facebook seguici su instagram
seguici su twitter seguici su youtube
logo del centro storico di terracina
Cartina Terracina Centro Storico
  • Porta Romana

  • Palazzo Vitelli
  • Palazzo dei forni
  • Chiesa del Purgatorio
  • Palazza via San Eusebio
  • Palazzo Nicola Savio
  • Palazzo Corso Garibaldi
  • Palazzo Via Greggi
  • Palazzo Risoldi
  • Interno Cattedrale
  • Palazzo Del Vescovado
  • Rampa Braschi
  • Palazzo di Via mura San Paolo
  • Palazzo Bonificazione Pontina
  • Casa Angeletti
  • Case d'affitto
  • Palazzo Braschi
  • palazzo Greggi
versione al negativo del logo del centro storico di terracina
seguici su facebook seguici su instagram seguici su twitter seguici su youtube
inviaci una mail
seguici su facebook seguici su instagram
seguici su twitter seguici su youtube
logo del centro storico di terracina
Cartina Terracina Centro Storico
  • Porta Romana

  • Palazzo Vitelli
  • Palazzo dei forni
  • Chiesa del Purgatorio
  • Palazza via San Eusebio
  • Palazzo Nicola Savio
  • Palazzo Corso Garibaldi
  • Palazzo Via Greggi
  • Palazzo Risoldi
  • Interno Cattedrale
  • Palazzo Del Vescovado
  • Rampa Braschi
  • Palazzo di Via mura San Paolo
  • Palazzo Bonificazione Pontina
  • Casa Angeletti
  • Case d'affitto
  • Palazzo Braschi
  • palazzo Greggi
versione al negativo del logo del centro storico di terracina
seguici su facebook seguici su instagram seguici su twitter seguici su youtube
logo del centro storico di terracina
inviaci una mail seguici su facebook seguici su instagram seguici su twitter seguici su youtube
Cartina Terracina Centro Storico
  • Porta Romana

  • Palazzo Vitelli
  • Palazzo dei forni
  • Chiesa del Purgatorio
  • Palazza via San Eusebio
  • Palazzo Nicola Savio
  • Palazzo Corso Garibaldi
  • Palazzo Via Greggi
  • Palazzo Risoldi
  • Interno Cattedrale
  • Palazzo Del Vescovado
  • Rampa Braschi
  • Palazzo di Via mura San Paolo
  • Palazzo Bonificazione Pontina
  • Casa Angeletti
  • Case d'affitto
  • Palazzo Braschi
  • palazzo Greggi
versione al negativo del logo del centro storico di terracina
seguici su facebook seguici su instagram seguici su twitter seguici su youtube
logo del centro storico di terracina
inviaci una mail seguici su facebook seguici su instagram seguici su twitter seguici su youtube
Cartina Terracina Centro Storico
  • Porta Romana

  • Palazzo Vitelli
  • Palazzo dei forni
  • Chiesa del Purgatorio
  • Palazza via San Eusebio
  • Palazzo Nicola Savio
  • Palazzo Corso Garibaldi
  • Palazzo Via Greggi
  • Palazzo Risoldi
  • Interno Cattedrale
  • Palazzo Del Vescovado
  • Rampa Braschi
  • Palazzo di Via mura San Paolo
  • Palazzo Bonificazione Pontina
  • Casa Angeletti
  • Case d'affitto
  • Palazzo Braschi
  • palazzo Greggi